Sunday, February 9, 2014

Arnold Genthe - Europe

Here are "Travel Views of Europe." I'm having a fun time trying to guess the country each photo is from.

 [these look like Spanish gypsies to me]
 
 [I'm guessing Spain or some other Mediterranean country]
 
 [my guess is Western Europe - Holland, France, Belgium...?]
 

 [this also looks Mediterranean to me - Spain, Italy?]
 
 [the headscarves say Eastern Europe to me]
 
 [Greece, maybe?]
 
 [my best guess here is Spain]
 
 [there's a sign posted at center-left that is frustratingly just outside the bounds 
of legibility...what I can see of it looks possibly German, Polish or Dutch]
  
[I'm going with Holland on this one]

6 comments:

  1. The picture "my guess is Western Europe - Holland, France, Belgium...?" is Belgium, Brussels, Grote Markt/Grand Marché.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture "[there's a sign posted at center-left that is frustratingly just outside the bounds
    of legibility...what I can see of it looks possibly German, Polish or Dutch]" is not Dutch in my opinion. The buildings don't look really Dutch, and the women dress might be Dutch at first glance, but in the details I think it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture "[I'm going with Holland on this one]" indeed looks Dutch in the regional women dress. If the inscription at the left upper side reads 'Gasthof' it would be German language, not Dutch. But since there is also a French inscription 'La Vache', it's hard to tell in the end where this might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture "I'm going with Holland on this one" is probably situated in Bruges, Belgium. The inscription at the left: Hollander - la Vache, was a restaurant or something. Dutch indeed is the sign left of the center: Stokvisch Weekerij. The wooden shoes people are wearing is indicating Dutch influences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the photograph "my best guess here is Spain", is indeed the Spanish city of Avila, the birthplace of Santa Teresa, it is about the square that is dedicated to it. Also it is this same square the photo "Greece, maybe?". Thank you for discovering these images. Jose Luis Pajares (Ávila, Spain)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [the headscarves say Eastern Europe to me] is Spain Granada, 1904

    ReplyDelete